Being a Big is being part of the team!
You join of team of professionals and other community leaders committed to helping children achieve their potential!
No one can do it all. With careers, families and other interests, being a Big is not intended to be an all-encompassing, overwhelming commitment that takes up all of your free time. It IS a commitment, but one that can be incorporated into your lifestyle. A Big in our program is a partner, helping a child achieve success. We work as a team to make sure we are doing our best to have fun, provide life-changing experiences and connect to the resources children need to achieve their potential. Below are just a few of the many resources and supports available to Bigs in our program.
- Match Coach: Each Big Brother and Big Sister is assigned a match coach, who will maintain consistent contact with you throughout the match and provide great resources and guidance.
- Match Team: Once you are matched, you become part of the match team which consists of you, the parent, the child, the match coach and the child’s teacher. Together, we work to support the growth and development of your match relationship.
- Bigs Night Out: Quarterly, the organization hosts an event for Bigs that includes food, prizes and great conversation. Bigs are also encouraged to bring spouses, friends and co-workers along to learn about the mentor experience and process.
- Mentor Chats: Each month, the organization hosts opportunities for new and long-term Bigs to come together to talk about their match experience, challenges and share ideas on how to make the experience more impactful and enjoyable.
- 411: The organization hosts a Bigs only 411 Facebook page that allows Bigs to share fun experiences and stories they have had with their littles. Bigs and the organization also share information on upcoming community and organizational events.
- Bigs Only resources: BBBS has a number of great community partnerships that can help grow your match experience including free Y, Putnam, Figge and Botanical Center memberships for you and your little. We also have concert and sporting event tickets, summer camp scholarships, and HavLife grants that can give your little an opportunity to explore sports, art and/or music opportunities and interests.
- Match Anniversary Event: upon your one-year anniversary with your Little, your match will have the opportunity to celebrate your relationship at our Match Anniversary Party. This event includes gifts, pictures, goal setting, food, and much more!
- Match Activities: Monthly Big Brothers Big Sisters plans numerous events and experiences for matches to explore and experience the community together. Tailored to the age of the little, these opportunities are fun, engaging and memorable for both the big and little. Examples include: 1) our annual picnic and holiday parties, 2) horseback riding, kayaking, bike riding, or hikes, 3) volunteer service at Toys for Tots, Riverbend Food Bank, Living Lands and Waters or others, 4) community scavenger hunts, cooking classes, River Bandit games and countless others. Most all of our events are free to matches through community sponsorship.
- MAPS/COMPASS Experiences: BBBS also coordinates more educational and developmentally appropriate experiences for matches throughout the year. While all BBBS experiences are fun, MAPS and COMPASS experiences has a focus to develop skills and assets that the child can use to achieve academic and economic success. Career Navigator Tours, Job Readiness Programs, Literacy sessions and STEM activities are a few examples within these enhancements.
Each small investment of time contributes to who they will become